A trial attorney with overwhelming success in court.

A trial attorney with overwhelming success in court.

Call Now For Help


The Peace Of Mind You Deserve.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Dui/dwai
  4.  » Colorado’s DUI laws and you

Colorado’s DUI laws and you

On Behalf of | Aug 11, 2021 | Dui/dwai |

Drunk and drugged driving is a major offense in Colorado. Furthermore, since the Centennial State has implied consent laws, authorities can automatically suspend the licenses of people who refuse field sobriety tests.

Colorado DUI/DWAI BAC limits

Under Colorado law, drivers who blow 0.08% or over on a Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) — aka breathalyzer — test are considered “per se” intoxicated, meaning no other evidence is needed to convict. People under 21 are subject to Zero Tolerance standards, which place the BAC bar at 0.02%. Enhanced penalties kick in for individuals who blow 0.17% or higher.

Colorado’s implied consent rule

When Colorado residents sign on the dotted line for their driver’s licenses, they agree to take field sobriety tests when prompted by law enforcement officials. The practice is known as implied consent, and every state has a comparable statute. While you can decline breathalyzers, understand that doing so in Colorado may result in a restricted license until the matter is resolved.

Colorado DUI/DWAI punishments

People found guilty of DUI/DWAI in Colorado can land in prison for nine to 24 months, depending on the case circumstances. Individuals who inadvertently injure or kill other motorists may face more severe charges, including murder and manslaughter.

In Colorado, ignition interlock devices are mandatory for second offenses, and anyone caught driving while impaired must attend an alcohol education program.

Colorado, like most states, has relatively strict DUI/DWAI laws on the books. In this day and age, with myriad ride-share options available, there’s never a need to get behind the wheel after drinking or using drugs. If you do make the decision, though, consider reaching out to an attorney to go over your options.

FindLaw Network